Sunday, March 8, 2009

Movie Review: Passion of the Christ


It's hard to call this a movie review, because this isn't going to be a typical movie review. I just finished watching "The Passion of the Christ". I wasn't going to blog about it until tomorrow, but I need to process what I just saw, and this seems like the best way to do it. This is the first time I've watched this film. I've put it off for a while, because I guess I just didn't want to deal with it. But, I decided that it's lent, so I needed to man-up, so to speak, and watch it.

First, we'll get the formality out of the way. "The Passion of the Christ" is a 5 star movie. "The Passion of the Christ" is one of the most moving films I've ever seen. Mel Gibson's vision of The Passion is very violent and graphic. I'm not sure if it was this severe, or if it was even worse than depicted. What I do know is this depiction really struck a nerve with me.

I will admit that I cried several times during the movie. First, during the scourging. I kept imagining that every strike was one of my sins. Recently, I had a revelation while praying the rosary and meditating on the scourging. I realized that every time I sin, it's like I'm one of the Roman soldiers striking Jesus. Not the most profound revelation, but it really stuck with me, and then seeing that in the film really hit home.

I really struggled with the carrying of the cross scenes as well. I literally found myself talking to the TV, saying "stop hitting him!" I rarely talk to movies...not never, but rarely.

The other scenes that were most difficult for me were those involving Mary. I can't imagine what Mary must have gone through seeing Jesus suffer like that. Now, I have a better understanding of why, as Catholics, we hold Mary up as an example for all of us. All she ever did was say yes to God, and it was never easy for her. Was it easy for her to say yes as a teenage girl when God asked her to bear His son? Was it easy for her to watch that son suffer as Jesus did? Did she question her faith, or was she unwavering? I don't know the answers, what I do know is I've questioned God plenty of times in MUCH easier circumstances than Mary faced.

The ending of the movie was more than I ever could have expected. I wasn't sure how Mel Gibson was going to end it, but it was perfect, and uplifting. If you haven't seen "The Passion of the Christ" and you are a Christian (or even if you aren't), you should watch it. Be prepared, because you will cry, you will cringe, but I think you will also find it powerful and uplifting.

There were other scenes in the movie that I haven't talked about that were very stirring as well. The Garden of Gethsemane and the betrayal of Judas to start. I've always wondered what kind of torment Judas went through. Mel Gibson takes a pretty good crack at that. I also thought the movie did a good job depicting Peter's denial of Jesus. I've always taken comfort in Peter. Peter screwed up repeatedly, but yet, ended up doing great things in Jesus' name. I like to hope that there's a little bit of Peter in all of us.

Sorry if all that didn't make any sense. My mind is still racing a bit. I may have more to say tomorrow, or I may be done. I'm just not sure yet.

No comments: