Sunday, February 22, 2009

What's the deal with the Oscars?

Today is Oscar Sunday. Starting at 7:30 Central Time, ABC will broadcast the 81st Academy Awards. Even now, some networks are showing the red carpet. I just don't get it! Why the fascination with this event?

Here's the top 5 things about the Oscars that bug me:

5 - The red carpet. We're supposed to watch rich people walk by cameras wearing clothes and jewelry they got for free so designers we can't afford can get publicity? Huh?

4 - The movies. I haven't seen any of the movies nominated for Best Picture this year. I would watch it if movies like "The Dark Knight" were nominated. I guess that's why we have the People's Choice Awards.

3 - Politics. I don't want to listen to George Clooney, Susan Sarandon and every other nutjob liberal in Hollywood get on stage and tell me why they love Barack Obama.

2 - Joan and Melissa Rivers. These 2 have made a career with this event. Neither of them has any talent, yet they get to cover this every year. Meanwhile, Americans with real skills are being laid off every day. It just doesn't seem right to me.

1 - The premise of the whole thing. A bunch of movie people get together and give each other awards. It just seems a little seedy to me.

So, while a bunch of Americans are tuned into the Oscars tonight, I'll be hanging with my kids, then watching a real classic...Iron Chef America!

No comments: