Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Major Bummer Dude

I'm in Huntsville, AL right now. Don't ask why I'm in Huntsville, I just am. I will be leaving tomorrow. Today, I learned that Huntsville isn't part of the south, but if you drive 1 mile out of town you are in the south.

What is Huntsville famous for? For those my age, you'll all remember the Space Camp commercials when you were a kid. Yes, Space Camp! There's a bunch of NASA and space related things here, including a 360+ ft. mock-up of the Saturn V rocket, the largest rocket ever produced. At least that's what the sign said.

So, now you're asking why is this blog titled "Major Bummer Dude". Because, I got all excited about getting to go to the "Space" museums while I was here. However, once I got here, I quickly realized that there hours are 9-5, which wouldn't work for me. I then found out that they were closed on Mondays and Tuesdays through this week. ARGH!!! I was so looking forward to that. I've always been fascinated by the space program. I guess I'll have to come back again sometime.

This did lead me to a question. Why are museums usually only open during the day? Art Museums, Science Museums, etc. all usually close at 5. Wouldn't it make financial sense to stay open past 5 so people with regular jobs can go to museums on weekdays? This may be one of those questions that will never be answered.

2 comments:

Nuke said...

It's probably to make sure they get all those "free" tax dollars from school-supported field trips. Maybe the school system pays triple normal ticket rates behind the scenes.

Jake said...

Oh, that's good...you get some of your conservative points back!