Sunday, January 4, 2009

My New Year's Resolution

My wife has a part time job, and usually works evenings. During normal times, she works 2-3 evenings a week. Lately, it's been more because it's the holiday season, although things are returning to normal.

Tonight, my wife is at work, and it's up to me to figure out supper. I hate this part of the job! Don't get me wrong, sometimes I like to cook. When I have a plan and when we have the correct ingredients. My wife is really good about helping me meal plan when we make our weekly grocery list. However, we haven't been to the grocery store lately because we've been really focused on getting our house organized. So, we're light on ingredients, I have no plan and I'm weak on knowing how to cook things. Complicating this more is the fact that my kids are really picky eaters.

So, I'm struggling to figure out what to make for these kids. I want them to eat something healthy, but in the back of my head, there's this little voice that's saying "just get fast food", which I know is terrible for them, and for me, but it's going to win out and we're going to end up eating McDonald's or Burger King or something like that.

This is the long rambling way of getting to my New Year's resolution, or at least one of them. I'm going to expand my cooking ability so I can better handle situations like this, and so there are more than 5 or 6 things I can cook for my kids. If anybody has any good, simple recipes, send them my way. I won't guarantee I'll use them, but I might.

No comments: