Thursday, January 8, 2009

Book Review: "The Seems: The Split Second"


I know what you're thinking...didn't he just review that book? Well, no actually I didn't. I reviewed, "The Seems: The Glitch in Sleep." I'm now reviewing the 2nd book in the series, called "The Seems: The Split Second". After reading the first one, I was anxious to read the second one, so I got a copy, and read it in about 6 hours over 3 nights. I tend to be a bit obsessive when I have a good book going, so I read them very quickly.

In "The Split Second" our favorite 13 year old Fixer, Becker Drane, is back again, and the world needs fixing, again. This time, the problem is bigger than just one Fixer can handle. Complicating things further is the isolation Becker feels being the youngest Fixer in the Seems, and not having anyone in the world he can confide in. On this latest mission, Becker faces unforeseen troubles, a few heart wrenching moments, and makes a few new allies too.

Overall, I'd have to say I enjoyed this book more than the first. Hulme and Wexler have definitely latched on to a good concept here. This time, the story is more fast paced, the twist and turns a little more unexpected, and we learn a lot more about the characters. We also learn a great deal more about Seemsian lore. Additionally, the footnotes in the book and the appendices bring a lot of humor.

I hope they release another book, and I hope it's soon.

No comments: