Friday, January 16, 2009

Movie Review: Leatherheads


I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I sat down to watch "Leatherheads." While I enjoy sports movies, this didn't look like a normal sports movie. And, it's not a normal sports movie. But, I still enjoyed it, and rate it 3 stars.

The movie is set in the 1920's and centers around the birth of professional football. George Clooney stars as Dodge Connelly, a 40 something athlete making his living as a member of the Duluth Bulldogs. The Bulldogs are a professional football team in a league with no rules, and no fans. That all changes when Connelly convinces War Hero and Princeton Star Carter Rutherford (John Krasinski) to come play for the Bulldogs. Suddenly, professional football is popular, and it quickly becomes a game with rules that Connelly is not familiar with. Complicating things further is the rivalry that develops between Connelly and Rutherford over reporter Lexie Littleton (Renee Zellwegger).

I found "Leatherheads" quirky storyline kept me interested. It's a very funny movie, and Clooney is good. I always like George Clooney in movies where he gets to play a smooth-talking schemer (such as Ocean's 11, 12 and 13). Zellwegger wasn't overwhelming, but she was solid. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for John Krasinski. As I was watching it, I kept thinking, what is Jim from "The Office" doing in the 1920's playing football? Unfortunately, the charm of the TV show didn't carry over to the big screen.

Overall, "Leatherheads" is worth 2 hours of your time. It's rated PG-13 for good reason, but it's not a story kids would be interested in anyway.

No comments: