Monday, January 12, 2009

Broncos hire new coach

Today, my favorite sports franchise, the Denver Broncos, hired former New England Patriots Offensive Coordinator Josh McDaniels as their new head coach. Honestly, I'm not sure what to think about this hire, because it's good and bad:

Good: McDaniels was the leader of the greatest offense in NFL history, the 2007 New England Patriots.

Bad: The Broncos problem isn't offense. Their defense is horrible, the offense isn't bad. I was expecting them to hire a defensive minded head coach.

Good: McDaniels made Tom Brady even better, and turned Matt Cassel into a good NFL QB. So, hopefully, he'll be able to do that with Jay Cutler, who has been good, but inconsistent.

Bad: McDaniels may clash with QB Coach Jeremy Bates, who Cutler wants to remain with the team.

Good: At only 32, McDaniels will bring a lot of energy and fresh ideas to the position, and he should work well with the young team.

Bad: At only 32, he may have a hard time leading players who are older than he is.

Overall, this is going to be a wait and see for me. I think McDaniels most critical move is going to be hiring a top notch defensive coordinator, and working with the personnel team to get some better players on the defense.

In my opinion, this team should be a contender in 2 years, however, I'm cautious amongst Broncos fans, many of whom believe the team should win the Super Bowl every year. I'm a realist and know that these things go in cycles. However, even I will be antsy if they aren't a serious contender in 2010. So, for now, I'll wait and see if this turns out well.

No comments: