Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Nightmare Scenario

So, 2 weeks ago, my Denver Broncos were 8-5 and headed for the playoffs. The 2nd place team is the San Diego Chargers and they were 5-8 two weeks ago. Here we are 2 weeks later and the Broncos are 8-7 while the Chargers have climbed to 7-8. The Broncos just finished up losing a home game to a bad Buffalo Bills team, while the Chargers destroyed a really good Tampa Bay team on the road. Next week, the 2 teams play, with the winner getting the division title.

This was my nightmare scenario as a fan. The Chargers are the better team, but they've underachieved all year. As a fan, I know what the Broncos are. The Broncos are a 1 man show...basically, if QB Jay Cutler plays awesome, they win. If he plays anything less than awesome, they lose. I know that the Broncos defense is close to the worst in the NFL, and that their running game has bordered on pathetic all year. Basically, I'm saying that they really have no business going to the playoffs.

With that said, I was really hoping they would make it to the playoffs this year. The team is full of a bunch of young guys, and a playoff game, even a loss, would be great experience for future seasons. But, it appears that it's not to be. I don't believe the Broncos will beat the Chargers next week. Like I said, the Chargers are the better team, plus they should have won earlier this season in Denver, but they had a bad call go against them.

I hope I'm wrong about all this and next week I get to write a blog celebrating a victory. But, I fear that, like Chicago Cubs fans, I will be saying "wait 'til next year". Overall, I think I'm handling this very well. I'm disappointed, but not as mad as I thought I would be. I won't be watching any more football tonight because it will bum me out to see the scores go by, but I'll be tuned in next week hoping that the Broncos will upset the Chargers and make it to the playoffs.

No comments: