Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Movie Review: Hellboy II


Yes, that's right. I'll watch just about anything. I watched "Hellboy II" last night, and enjoyed it. I was very disappointed by the first Hellboy movie. There was so much potential with the story and it got bogged down by too much other stuff, like the relationship between Hellboy and Liz Sherman.

With the relationship stuff sort of solved by the first Hellboy movie, the second installment had much more of what I expected from the first movie. The special effects were excellent. Nothing cartoonish in this movie. The action sequences were very well done. While the story was better than the last movie, it's still not great, but definitely an improvement.

Ron Perlman, who portrays Hellboy does a very good job in the role of the soft-hearted, slightly self-centered hero. Selma Blair and Jeffrey Tambor highlight the rest of the cast. Tambor was a nice edition to this film as the bumbling government agent assigned to keep an eye on Hellboy and his cast of misfits.

I would give this one 3.5 stars...since Netflix doesn't allow half stars, I gave it 4 on Netflix. If there's a 3rd movie in the series, I'll definitely watch it.

No comments: