Thursday, December 18, 2008

Movie Review: The Incredible Hulk


Shockingly, I thoroughly enjoyed "The Incredible Hulk". After the disaster that was the 2003 Hulk movie directed by Ang Lee, I had very low expectations for this one. Again, low expectations is a key to a good movie watching experience.

Edward Norton was significanly better as Bruce Banner than Eric Bana was in the 2003 movie. Norton portrays the plight of Banner very well. He struggles to learn self control while working find a cure for himself and remain hidden from the military.

The CGI in this movie was significantly better than the 2003 movie. This time, the Hulk didn't look like a cartoon stuck in a movie...he looked like another character in the movie.

What I also enjoyed about this movie was it payed homage to the Bill Bixby/Lou Ferigno TV Series. The theme from the TV series was a part of the movie, and Ferigno had a cameo appearance.

As expected, "The Incredible Hulk" was packed with great action sequences. From the brilliantly executed "shadowy" first appearance of the Hulk, to the final battle against the supercharged villian, the action doesn't disappoint an action film fanatic like me. Finally, watch out for the tie-in to Iron Man. Very cool, and bodes very well for future movies.

"The Incredible Hulk" is rated PG-13, for good reason. Liv Tyler, William Hurt and Tim Roth also star in the movie. All give good, but not great performances. I gave this film 4 stars on Netflix. (I know I give everything 4 stars...I haven't seen a bad movie lately).

No comments: