Sunday, December 14, 2008

Movie Review: Hancock


Ok, I'm probably going to get harassed for this one. I loved this movie and rated it 5 stars on Netflix.

Let me explain why. First off, I don't think Wil Smith is capable of making a bad movie. I think any Wil Smith movie automatically gets a minimum of 3 stars. I haven't decided if he's really that good, or if he's just really good at picking scripts. Smith is excellent as John Hancock, the Super Hero of the movie, who is more anti-hero than anything. After saving the life of a PR guy, played by Jason Bateman, they set about trying to change how Hancock is seen by the public by changing Hancock. Initially, Hancock is resistant to the change, but comes around to it and ends up becoming the hero...sort of. You'll have to watch to see more.

This is a unique Super Hero movie, in that it's much more about the man than the Super Hero. It focuses on Hancock the person first, and then the fact that he has super powers. The movie is funny at times, serious at others. And, at only 95 minutes, it's not a huge time commitment. While not everyone will like "Hancock" as much as I did, I think it will be difficult for someone not to enjoy it.

No comments: