Sunday, November 30, 2008

No News is Good News

On Friday, my 2 boys and I set out to Sioux City, IA to meet up with my parents for a quick visit. It's kind of in the middle and we had access to an apartment there, which has no Internet and no cable (very difficult for me). We had a terrific time...the boys were great and had a lot of fun with Grandma and Grandpa. Sioux City gets a bad reputation, it really is a pretty nice city.

So, as I said before, there was no Internet and no cable, which also meant NO NEWS whatsoever. I wasn't able to hear any bad news about the economy. I didn't hear any speculation on who Obama's next cabinet appointee is. I didn't hear anything about football, basketball, or any other sport. And, I didn't miss it...in fact, it was very nice. I was in a good mood all weekend.

I'm not advocating becoming uninformed. I am not going to completely abandon watching the news...after all what would I blog about if I did that. A guy can only write so many "I didn't watch any news blogs". But I digress. I'm advocating taking an occasional break from the world. It definitely proved to be a stress reliever from the daily dose of bad news that you find in the news and sports media. I plan to have "news free" weekends more often going forward.

No comments: