Thursday, November 13, 2008

Music Tames the Savage Engineer?

Today was an awful day! I got virtually no work done, while being busy all day. I had several frustrating encounters. Today was an awful day...until music intervened.

About 3 pm, I was walking through my office when a fellow employee stopped me. He had recognized me from church. As many of you know, I'm a piano accompanist at church. I don't play piano at church to receive recognition, I play because God gave me a small gift which I can use to enhance mass for my fellow parishioners. Anyway, this guy stops me and says that he just wanted to tell me how good I sound on the piano at church and that he appreciated my contribution to the music ministry! He may never know it, but he (and I suspect God through him) totally redirected my day.

When I got back to my desk, I turned off the Sean Hannity Show (which is very depressing lately), and started to listen several different John Williams' movie theme songs, including Superman, Star Wars, The Patriot and Indiana Jones. It was the best hour of work I've had in a long time.

So, what's the takeaway? Sometimes it's nice to be recognized, even when you're not looking for it. Nothing is ever so bad that a little music can't cure it. And of course...John Williams is a genius!!!

1 comment:

Erin said...

I had no idea you played piano... how awesome is that!?
Amazing how something as simple as turning off negativity (as Sean H. is bound to lean towards lately after the whole election bit) and turning on something awesome and beautiful can really change the direction of the day, eh? The comment from the guy at work was great too. Good, good, good!