Saturday, December 3, 2011

Top 5 Movie Themes

To be a great movie theme, you have to know the movie when you hear the song.  There are lots of these great theme songs out there, but which are the top 5?  Well, I have a top 5 of my own, and I bet some of these hit your top 5.   Note that I've provided links to all my favorites.  Also be aware that I didn't watch all of these to the end, but I went far enough in with each to be convinced I had the song.

5 - Indiana Jones Theme - You will see a "theme" of John Williams in this list.  The man knows how to compose memorable, orchestral, theme songs.  When the theme hit at "Indiana Jones: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull", I got goose bumps.  Sadly, the movie didn't live up to the theme song in that case. 

4 - Jurassic Park Theme - John Williams again!  What did I say...the man knows how to write movie theme songs.  I liked the Jurassic Park theme song so much that I bought the piano sheet music to learn how to play it.  Frankly, it sounds better with a whole orchestra, but it's still fun.  The theme song was the only reason to watch Jurassic Park 2 and 3.

3 - Forrest Gump Feather Song - Another one that I've been working to learn on the piano for a long time.  And, our first non John Williams song...this time it's Alan Silvestri.  I just love this song...I especially love the piano music.  And, it leads us into a fantastic movie.

2 - Rocky Theme Song - While there didn't need to be 6 movies (though I liked them all except #5), you automatically know it's Rocky when you hear this classic song by Bill Conti, with lyrics by Carol Connors and Ayn Robbins.  You hear this song and you picture Rocky running up the steps to the Philadelphia Museum of Art. 

1 - Superman Theme Song - Though not my favorite super hero, this movie has the best opening theme of all time.  Every time I hear it, I get goose bumps, and that's what good songs do.  This is John Williams at his absolute best.  When we get the Superman reboot in 2013, I really hope they don't reboot the opening theme.  Best movie song EVER!!!!!!.

1 comment:

mediocre coffee said...

Nice call with Forrest Gump Theme. I thought you were going to use exclusively action movie themes. Way to add diversity.