Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Best of 2011

Here we are at the end of 2011, so I thought I'd list off some of the best things that happened in 2011.

Best Movie of 2011 - "Super 8", by a hair over "Thor".  "Super 8" is just a classically great movie.  Everybody I've talked to has liked it, but I only talk to people with like opinions because I can't handle conflict.

Best New Recipe of 2011 - This was a close one, but in the end, I have to pick my BBQ Chicken recipe.  It was so good...so very good.

Best Sporting Moment of 2011 - I'll have to give this one to my South Dakota State Jackrabbits Men's Basketball team, upsetting the University of Washington a few weeks back.  It was a big win for the Jackrabbits, and in blow out fashion.

Best Family Sporting Moment of 2011 - This one goes to my 11 year old, who had his first bowling game over 100 earlier this year. 

Best Individual Sporting Moment of 2011 - This may not count as individual, but it would have to be my golf trip with my friend Stanton to Cragun's Resort in Brainerd, MN.  Such a fun trip.

Best Blog of 2011 - Nuke's Retro Movie Review was top notch.  He had me going until I got to "Highlander 2".

Best Purchase of 2011 - This would have to be my new smoker.  I've had so much fun smoking various meat products.  There's just something manly about smoked meat.

Best Tebow Moment of 2011 - The comeback win over the Bears was insane...INSANE!!!

Best Faith Growing Experience - The 15th Annual Catholic Men's Conference was an awesome day.  This is always one of the best days of the year. 

Best New TV Show of 2011 - "Person of Interest" on CBS is the best...the best I tell you!  Of course, it has Jim Caviezel in it, so how can it not be great?  Caviezel is like Denzel, everything he touches turns awesome.

Best New Cartoon of 2011 - This would have to be "Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness".  I love "Kung Fu Panda".

Best "Phineas and Ferb" Episode of 2011 - "My Fair Goalie" may be my favorite Phineas and Ferb episode of all time.  It's available on Netflix Instant Watch if you want to see it.  Not only do we learn about the Emu Curse, but we also get to listen to "Nostrils on the Bus".

Best Book of 2011 - It's tough for me because I read 2 Rick Riordan books this year, but I'm gonna give this one to Inheritance, which is the final book in the Eragon series started so long ago.  This was Paolini's best written book of the series and captured me the way Eragon captured me.

Best Golf Shot of 2011 - This would be the drive I hit on #4 at my club on an unseasonably warm day in October while playing golf with my friend Joe.  I drove the green on the 288 yard hole, sticking the ball about 6 feet from the hole, then I made the eagle putt.

Best Trip of 2011 - I'll go with our family trip to Madison, WI.  We stayed at a hotel with a water park, had a positive zoo experience and ate some good BBQ.

Best Work Trip of 2011 - Though I went to Brazil twice this year, and Maryland and South Dakota for work, my best trip was Germany, way back in January. 

Best Gift of 2011 - I got a new Food Processor for Christmas.  I love to process food!

Best Chocolate Chip Cookie of 2011 - This would be the cookie I had yesterday at the Prairie Soup Company.  It may be the best Chocolate Chip Cookie ever!!!

Best Dip of 2011 - We had a dip day at work.  This is a day when everybody brings a dip (salsa, cheese, etc.) in and then we vote for the best dip.  The winning dip was a desert dip that was like a pumpkin gingerbread dip...it was so yummy.

Best Commercial of 2011 - The Jonah Hill Modern Warfare 3 commercial cracks me up every time I see it.

4 comments:

Mary Stubblefield said...

I love that you have a Best of Phineas and Ferb category. It made me smile.

Jake said...

Thanks! It was such a good episode that it had to make the list.

Nuke said...

Thanks for the shout out... I look forward to crafting my April Fool's post every year. And thanks for the Jonah Hill link... that video is an instant classic.

Nuke said...

If I created a similar list, I would add Best Blog Opener of 2011, but I'm struggling to pick between your "Like a beacon of hope in the darkness..." and "I thought, 'hey, I'm a moron with a blog...'".