Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Weirdest Round Ever

It's been an unseasonably warm October, and as such, I've been fortunate enough to still be playing fairly frequent rounds of golf.  I generally play well this time of year because I just don't care as much about my score...maybe I should find a way to take that into the rest of the season?

So, I've been playing quite well lately...no super low rounds, but a lot of consistently good rounds of golf.  Yesterday afternoon, in 85 degree temperatures, I played 18 holes with my friend Joe.  Little did I know when we tee'd off that it would be one of the weirdest rounds I've ever played.

I started off with a birdie at #1, but bogeyed the next hole.  After 7 holes, I was 2 over par.  Number 8 at my course is a 300 yard par 4, and I drove the green (it was playing down wind).  I had a 45 foot eagle putt, which I made for my 2nd eagle of the golf season.  So, I was back to even par.  I hit a really good drive at number 9, but screwed up my 2nd shot and my chip and ended up making a bogey to shoot a 1 over par 35 on the front nine.

As I've said before on this blog, my golf course is a 9 hole, par 34.  So, to play 18 holes you just go around twice, but play a different set of tees to make the course a little different.  The 2nd time around, the course plays a little longer. 

The 2nd nine, I started out with a par, but then bogeyed number 2...I really struggle with number 2.  On #3 I hit a good drive and a good 2nd shot and made a 10 foot putt for birdie, so I'm back to +1.  Number 4 is a 288 yard par 4 that was playing into the wind.  I don't always hit my driver there, but since it was into a 10-15 mph wind, I used my driver.  I hit the ball real hard and figured I'd be 10-15 yards short of the green.  As we walked to the green, we saw my ball sitting 6 feet from the hole.  I made that putt for my 2nd eagle of the day, and now I'm 1 under par for the day.

I parred #5, then hit a terrible tee shot on the par 3 sixth hole.  I chunked my chip shot into the bunker, blasted out and then lipped out my bogey putt, for a double bogey...back to +1.  I parred 7 and then made a really good birdie at #8, so I'm back to even par.  At number 9 (or 18), I hit a terrible tee shot, and had to punch out from behind a tree.  I had 100 yards left for my 3rd shot and hit a really bad shot, then a bad chip and lipped out my bogey putt for my 2nd double bogey of the day.

So, in summary, I had 6 pars, 5 bogeys, 3 birdies, 2 eagle and 2 double bogeys.  That adds up to the weirdest 2 over par round of my life.  What did I learn?  Well, there are all kinds of ways to get the ball around a golf course.  Oh, and I learned that I always make my eagle putts when playing golf with Joe on unseasonably warm days in October...it has now happened the last 2 times I've played golf with Joe on unseasonably warm days in October.

3 comments:

Nuke said...

I think I had a stranger round than that once, but it involved a pink ball and a green putter, and the holes were mostly less than 10-15 yards in length.

Jared said...

Had I been there, I would have just done 1 birdie, 2 bogeys, and 15 pars, and beat you by a stroke :-)

Jake said...

When was the last time you beat me? :-)