Monday, August 1, 2011

It's Over

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part IILast night I went to see "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part II", which will be known as HP7p2 for the rest of this blog.  The Deathly Hallows was my favorite book, and I thought HP7p2 would be my favorite movie, but I don't know if it was as good as the fourth movie.

Don't get my wrong, I liked HP7p2, but since I knew what was in the book, I was a bit disappointed with the few things that were left out of the movie.  Overall, the movie was true to the book, but where it deviated was a bit disappointing.  I give the movie a 4 star rating, trending towards 4.5.

If you think about it, the 8 movies in the Harry Potter series is really pretty amazing.  So often, these great books get screwed up when converted to movies.  As examples, see "Eragon" or "The Lightning Thief".  The fact that the producers, directors and cast were able to stay relatively true to J.K. Rowling's vision is pretty remarkable, and that has to count for something.  And, if you have never read the books, the movies do a really great job telling the story, but once you read the books, you'll miss what was left out of the movies.

I never wanted to be one of those "the book was better" type of people, but...the book was better.

1 comment:

Your Wife said...

Hey. I think one of the main reasons the movies did stay so true to the books was because J.K. Rowling was so involved with the movies. Most authors have to just sign over their rights and don't get much if any say in what happens to their book in movie form. And, about being a "the book was better" person...the only way to avoid that is to never read the book that was made into the movie.