Sunday, August 21, 2011

Another of the Things That Make Me Go Hmmm...

Last night, my wife and I watched the movie "Tristan and Isolde", which was billed to me as a love story with sword fighting and battles and such.  Well, it's not...it's a star-crossed love story with a few moments of action, followed by long moments of heartache and sorrow.  I only rate it 2 stars, because I'm a happily-ever-after kind of guy.

This got me wondering...why do people like to watch movies and read stories that end poorly?  Why do we want to end up sad or scared or both?  I've never been a fan of movies that have sad endings, and I'm also not a fan of horror movies, and frankly, I don't understand people who are.  If I'm going to invest 2 hours of my time into something, I'd rather laugh than cry, and I'd rather my heart start pumping because of action as opposed to something scary.

This is another blog without any real point, other than to wonder in writing about things that I think are weird about other people.  I guess to each his own.  I'll stick with my over the top action films and sappy happily-ever-after stories, and the crazies out there can watch their horror films and shows with sad endings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm right with you. I watch movies and read books to escape the stress and sorrow of life so I want to read something that's uplifting, funny, happy. I'm not with you in the action film area, though. I don't like watching a bunch of explosions and people beating the poo out of each other. How does violence make you feel happy? I don't get people like that. ;)