Friday, July 22, 2011

Is It That Time Again?

It's getting close to caucus season in Iowa...ok, really it's not.  But, almost all the Republican candidates for President are hanging out in Iowa a lot this summer.  As such, I'm hearing a lot from these candidates, even though I'm trying not to.
This year, I'm torn, because I really like Michelle Bachman, and I think she would create the most interesting race against President Obama.  Bachman is like a smarter version of Sarah Palin...she definitely won't make any of the blunders Palin has along the way.  Don't get me wrong, I think Sarah Palin is great, but I don't think she should be President.

Anyway, back to Bachman.  I think she has a lot of upside, and she definitely annoys my liberal friends.  One friend told me that Bachman is just a "noise maker".  So, for the shear entertainment value, I really want to support Bachman.

But, the other day we got a letter from the Ron Paul campaign.  The letter was signed by his son Rand (Senator from KY), so I have to assume he at least consulted on the letter.  As I read through the letter, I found that I agreed with 99% of what Ron Paul stands for.  I struggle with some of his isolationist views in terms of our military, but economically and socially, I'm right there with him.

At this point, I'm left with a choice.  If I'm honest about my political beliefs and the direction I want to see our country take, I have to support Ron Paul.  If I want to be entertained, and end up with a candidate who is also really solid, I have to support Michelle Bachman.  Right now, I'm leaning towards being honest with myself, but the side that wants to be entertained is still trying to win out.

I guess I have to make a decision by January 2012...better keep working on it.

2 comments:

Brian said...

Jake, I struggle with the same choices when it comes to candidates. The candidate fields these last few elections have been really well stocked. It is sad that there can only be 1 winner.

Jake said...

Based on some info a friend sent me, I'm back on the Bachmann side of the fence.