Tuesday, May 17, 2011

I'm Getting Old!

If you are a golfer, this blog will interest you...if not, well, you can read on if you'd like. 

Tonight, I bought a 5 wood with a gift card I got from my mother-in-law for my birthday.  The 5 wood brings me dangerously close to the true old man club, the 7 wood.  I now have 4 clubs in my bag with head covers...and it makes me feel old.  When I was a kid, all the old guys had 4 or 5 clubs in their bags with head covers, while us "real players" had 2...at most.  Never mind that the old guys used to kick my butt...I looked cooler.

I remember when I was in high school and I could rip my 2 iron...now I don't have a 2 iron, or a 3 iron in my bag.  I have a hybrid, which is a cross between an iron and a wood.  Everybody says that woods and hybrids are easier to hit, and they are probably right, but it doesn't change the fact that it makes me feel old and less cool.

But, I do know that I'm a better golfer now than I was in high school.  The problem is, I don't feel as cool as I did then with my 2 head cover set.  It's interesting, because I got reminded today about pride and this is just another reminder that I should have no pride, and just accept how things are.  The truth of how things are is I'm probably going to be a better golfer and have more fun with a 5 wood in my bag than without.  And...well, if I look a little dorky to the teenagers with 2 irons in their bags, I guess I just have to be ok with that.

2 comments:

Nuke said...

This post reminds me of Ecclesiastes 10:10.

"If the iron is blunt, and one does not sharpen the edge, he must use more strength, but wisdom [or a 5-wood] helps one to succeed."

Perhaps your 5-wood is simply a sign of the wisdom you are gaining with age, old man.

Oh, and I must thank you for helping me understand why I had so many stares back in high school when I pulled out my 7-wood. I just thought it was the pink piggy cover that came with it when I stole it from mom's bag.

mediocre coffee said...

My golf game might be in trouble when I get older. Woods are the worst clubs in my bag.