Saturday, May 21, 2011

A Couple of Average Movies

I've seen a couple of 3 star movies on Netflix recently.  Neither of these movies will "rock your world", but if you want an evening of entertainment without much heavy thinking, then these 2 movies might be for you.

City of Ember"City of Ember":  I haven't read the books, but I'm betting someone who has will say the books were better than the movie.  Well, the movie is slightly entertaining.  Ember is a city that was built underground by some super smart dudes to protect civilization after what we're left to believe is Nuclear War.  They intended for the population to live underground for 200 years, but due to an untimely death in the line of mayors, the 200 years came and went and nobody left. 

This is where the movie picks up.  A couple of kids find the secret to getting out, but the corrupt mayor, played by Bill Murray, wants to stop them.  What ensues is a light hearted "chase" sequence that results in some entertainment while still leaving a low stress evening of movie viewing.

Tron: Legacy"Tron Legacy":  I'm one of the few children of the 80's who never watched "Tron", but I was told by a friend that it wouldn't matter.  Well, it mattered a little bit, but I read up on what happened in "Tron" so I was good.  "Tron Legacy" has some really cool effects, and probably would have been great in 3D.  Overall, though, it fell short of a great movie, but was entertaining enough.

There was one thing that was a bit off putting, but I eventually got used to it.  There is a CGI version of Jeff Bridges that is 20 years younger than the real Jeff Bridges.  That was sort of creepy for a while.  But, once I got past that, I had an ok time.  Low expectations are key with this movie I think.  I had no expectations, and that helped.

No comments: