Friday, April 1, 2011

Top 5 Denzel Movies

The ultra famous are known simply by their first name, for example...Elvis.  Well, when I say Denzel, you automatically know that I'm talking about Denzel Washington, who never makes a bad film.  Wow, Deja Vu...I have this strange feeling that I've said that before.  Anyway, Denzel has 2 Oscars and 5 nominations for Oscars...he's just outstanding...one of my favorite actors.

Here are the Top 5 Denzel Movies.  I think you'll be surprised by what isn't on this list.  I haven't seen "Training Day" which Denzel won the Best Actor award for or "Malcom X", and I was never a big fan of "Philadelphia".  Now, on to the list!

5 - "Remember the Titans" - Denzel plays coach Herman Boone, the first African American coach of a high school football team in it's first season as a racially integrated unit.  Denzel is brilliant in this sports movie/character study.  You just can't go wrong when you have a football movie, with a feel good ending and Denzel.

4 - "Crimson Tide" - I fear I may catch some flack for this one, but I really liked this movie.  Denzel is Lt. Commander Ron Hunter, who is the executive officer on a Naval Submarine.  Gene Hackman plays Captain Frank Ramsey.  When the sub receives a command to fire it's nuclear payload, but never receives confirmation, Capt. Ramsey wants to fire away, but Cmdr. Hunter says not so fast, and begins a mutiny.  What follows is an action/drama that is just excellent.

3 - "Courage Under Fire" - In this one, Denzel is Nat Sterling, a US Army officer investigating a female chopper pilot's (Meg Ryan)worthiness for the medal of honor.  Along the way, we see Sterling struggling with his own demons over a deadly mistake he made in Desert Storm.  "Courage Under Fire" is a terrific story, and Denzel is great in this role.  No Oscar glory for Denzel on this one, but still one of his best roles.

2 - "Glory" - "Glory" was my first exposure to Denzel.  We watched this one in school, I think either early high school or late in junior high.  Denzel won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his role as Private Trip.  Matthew Broderick plays the leader of the US Army's first all-black volunteer company on the Union side of the US Civil War.  There is some difficult viewing in this one, including the scene where Denzel is whipped for insubordination.  In the end, the all-black company leads the charge in a battle that is critical in turning the tide for the Union, and we all weep, because it's just that good.

1 - "The Book of Eli" - Ok, I'm going to include some spoilers here, so don't read on if you haven't seen the movie and plan to.  "The Book of Eli" is one of my favorite films of 2010, though frequent commenter Mediocre Coffee would call this highly controversial (inside joke there).  Denzel is Eli in a post apocalyptic America.  He is roaming the wastes and carrying a book, which turns out to be a King James Bible.  On his travels, Eli has to do battle with and ultimately escape from Gary Oldman, who wants the book so he can use it for his evil intentions.  Luckily, Eli has God on his side, along with some kick butt weapons and a somewhat helpful sidekick.  The ending will throw you for a loop, and in the ending lies the "controversy" (I type with tongue firmly planted in cheek).

5 comments:

WeaVeR ReVieW said...

Dude, love your new photo for your proflie!!!

Nuke said...

I won't give you flak for your Crimson Tide rating other than it being too low. It's actually my favorite Denzel movie, just slightly better than Book of Eli. I will, however, give you flak for being called "dude" by WeaVeR ReView, though I agree... great choice for your new pic. ;)

mediocre coffee said...

I agree with your list for Denzel's starring roles. Here are two movies that I enjoy better than some on the list, but Denzel only plays a supporting role. He does a great job in Antwone Fisher, taking a supporting character role that could have faded into the background and making it meaningful to the story. I also enjoyed Inside Man, what a great robbery movie!

Brian said...

Actually, in Glory, the Union forces do not take Ft. Wagner. But, like the list.

Jake said...

Ok - guess I'll have to watch it again. It's been a while...i think I watched it in high school. It's a tough movie to watch, but it's great.