Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Movie Review: "Deja Vu"

Déjà VuHaven't I seen this movie before?

Repeat after me...Denzell doesn't make a bad movie.  It's one of the truths of movie making, along with the truth that Bruce Willis doesn't make a bad movie, and Angelina Jolie wouldn't have to make a bad movie, but she still does.

"Deja Vu" is an action thriller, with a little bit of Sci Fi, that came out in 2006.  I'm not sure why I never saw it before, but at the urging of my office mate, I gave it a shot on Sunday evening.  This is a great movie...4.4 stars easily.  Denzell Washington is fantastic as ATF Agent Doug Carlin.  Carlin is investigating an explosion aboard a New Orleans ferry boat that resulted in the deaths of over 500 people.  When he gets added to a special FBI squad using a new technology to track the murderer, Carlin finds that he can not only catch the killer, but may be able to stop it from ever happening.

I was entertained by "Deja Vu" from the very start.  The science fiction component of this movie really makes it, but I don't want to give it away to you.  Jim Caviezel and Val Kilmer co-star and Caviezel, especially, brings an excellent dimension to the film.  Give this one a shot...you won't be disappointed. 

5 comments:

WeaVeR ReVieW said...

Your comment about bad movie/good movie...funny and so true. I was trying to think of other actors who don't make bad movies. Do you think Heath Ledger ever made a bad movie? How about Natalie Portman? Just thinking out loud and wondering.

Erin said...

I love this movie! Agreed that Denzel doesn't make a bad movie. Ah, memories... going to this movie was my birthday present in 2006... hmm, now I want to watch it again.

RE: Heath Ledger & Natalie Portman, having seen the majority of their movies, my answer is: No.

However, that doesn't mean that their movies are for everyone. :)

Jake said...

I'll have to think on Natalie Portman...I'd definitely agree with Erin that their movies aren't for everybody.

WeaVeR ReVieW said...

I agree, too. I'll be interested to hear your final decision on Natalie Portman. And, I haven't seen Black Swan. Oh, jeez, I realize now that they've both done the other side movies, haven't they. Weird. I think you should do a countdown of actors who don't make bad movies. And then you can see if you jinx any of them. And a list of actors who will make any movie good or bad.

Jake said...

Natalie Portman apparently had a role in "Mars Attacks", which was awful, though I don't remember her...I barely remember the movie. I haven't seen a lot of the stuff Heath Ledger has made, but the movies I have seen have all been good. Though, looking at the list on IMDB, there are some I think might be bad, but based on my limited experience, I'd have to agree on Ledger.

Interesting ideas on the actors...I'll have to ponder that.