Monday, January 3, 2011

A Much Needed Break

Today is my last day of my Christmas break. I'm fortunate enough to work at a company that shuts down from a day or two before Christmas to a day or three after New Year's Day. This year, I was off from Dec. 24th through today (Jan. 3rd). I feel really refreshed, and frankly, I could easily continue this break, but the expenses of the family/house say otherwise.

I spent this break doing some cooking, watching a lot of football and movies, and trying to spend time with the family. We got some new Wii games for Christmas, so we've spent time doing that. We also played some board games, and got outside when we could. Our break did include on ER visit when the kids collided on the trampoline. That resulted in 2 staples to close a wound on my youngest kid's head. He's okay, and is enjoying the extra attention.

I think the most refreshing thing of this time off was the break I took from the world. I didn't worry about work, and I didn't worry about what was going on in the world. I haven't really watched any news, other than ESPN and the local weather, and I feel great about it. The 24 hour news cycle is all about bad news and making us worry...it's no wonder not watching or reading any for 10 days is refreshing. If I didn't feel a responsibility to be informed, it would be easy to never read or watch any news again.

Tomorrow, it's back to the real world. Hopefully I'll still have my job come this time next year so I can get another much needed break.

No comments: