Monday, August 2, 2010

Movie Review: The A-Team


"Still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no-one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team!!!"

Yes, I broke down, went to the cheap theater and saw "The A-Team" movie. Starring Liam Neeson and a bunch of other guys I don't know, "The A-Team" acts as a reboot of the 1980's TV series. I don't know if there will be more movies or not...I guess that depends on how this one did at the box office.

I'm not going to spend a lot of time on the plot of this movie, because there isn't much of one. Liam Neeson is Hannibal Smith, and he is the leader of a crack team of Army Rangers who never fail, because of Hannibal's planning. After all, he "loves it when a plan comes together." When they are wrongly jailed, Hannibal sets about breaking his team out and finding those who sent them to jail. What follows is so much over the top action that it reminded me of last summer's G.I. Joe movie.

There was a lot of nostalgia for me with this movie because I remember the TV Series so fondly. Plus, Gerald McCraney was in the movie, and he was part of one of my dad's favorite 1980's shows, "Simon and Simon." Double nostalgia. As an action junkie, I found this movie really fun. I can honestly say this is the first movie where I've seen someone "fly" a tank. Watch it and you'll understand. There was enough plot to make this pass as a movie, but it was all about the action. It's way over the top.

The nostalgia, coupled with the over the top action made this a 4 star movie. Most people will disagree with me, but that's fine. I'm used to that.

No comments: