Sunday, July 4, 2010

TV Series Review: Castle, Season 1


I loved season 1 of "Castle." I think I am pretty much predisposed to like anything Nathan Fillion does after "Firefly" and "Serenity", so this statement should be taken with a grain of salt.

"Castle" pairs mystery writer, Richard Castle (played by Nathan Fillion) with NYPD Detective Kate Beckett (played by Stana Katic). Castle is one of the most popular mystery writers in the world, and he has recently killed off his recurring character. After a string of deaths that appear to be re-enactments of the murders in Castle's books, Castle is called in to consult on the case with the NYPD. In Detective Beckett, Castle finds the muse for his next set of books. So he pulls a few strings with his influential friends to land a semi-permanent gig consulting with Detective Beckett. The rest of the season flows out from there.

I loved this series because I really liked the characters. The mystery almost becomes secondary to the interaction between the characters. Richard Castle is the perfect character for Nathan Fillion. Witty, somewhat arrogant, but underneath the immature facade is a caring person who really wants to do the right thing. Detective Beckett is played very well by Stana Katic. Beckett sort of brings a calm to the show that includes some other off the wall characters. A couple of nice additions to the series are Susan Sullivan, who plays Castle's mother, and Molly Quinn who plays Castle's 15 year old daughter, who happens to be more grown up than her father in most instances.

If you are a Nathan Fillion fan, I think you'll find that you like this series. Both my wife and I think this is a 5 star series. Also, consider that season 1 is not a huge commitment, at only 10 episodes. Give it a shot if you are a Netflix subscriber or just like to buy random TV series at Barnes and Noble.

2 comments:

mediocre coffee said...

I agree, this is one of my favorite shows on TV right now.

Four Hours from Anywhere said...

Love it. They put out a book written by 'Rick Castle' but I didn't care for is all that much. The pace of the tv show didn't quite translate to a book.