Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Robin Hood = Tea Party?

I've been watching the BBC series "Robin Hood" on Netflix instant viewing. Maybe I'm a bit slow on the uptake, but my take away as a kid from all the different "Robin Hood" movies and stories was that Robin was robbing from the rich and giving it to the poor. Politically, I've heard more than 1 liberal democrat state that Robin Hood is a democrat. Over the last couple of days of watching this series and thinking back, I've come to realize that characterization is not true at all.

Who does Robin Hood steal from? He steals from the Sheriff of Nottingham and the many lords and other nobles of the land and gives the money and food he takes to the peasants. That's where democrats stop me and say "see, he's stealing from the rich...you mean, cold hearted conservative!" But, think for a moment. In that time, who was the government? You got it...the sheriff, the lords and the nobles. So, Robin was really rebelling against an oppressive, tax hungry government that cared very little for it's people and was more concerned about it's own power.

This brings me to today, where I would argue the Tea Party and it's members are playing the role of Robin Hood and his band of merry men. The Tea Party is standing up against the bloated government in Washington D.C., and letting them know that the size and scope of government needs to be reigned in. It's telling our representatives that we pay enough in taxes! The Tea Party is telling Washington to do what is allowed by the Constitution, and otherwise, leave us alone and let us live in freedom!

I for one support the Tea Party movement. I've never been to an event, but I think they have a good message. And, contrary to what the media and the liberals would have you believe, the Tea Party goers aren't raving lunatics bent on the destruction of our country. They are simply men and women who are concerned that Washington has forgotten what this country is all about and they are using the only means they can to get Washington to stand up and take notice. Although the method is different than the story book hero, the Tea Party goers really are modern day Robin Hoods.

No comments: