Sunday, June 20, 2010

Rain, Rain Go Away

Living in Iowa, thoughts of the Flood of 2008 are still fresh in my mind. Even though my house and neighborhood were not significantly affected, the community I live in was greatly affected, and is still recovering from this disaster.

The flood occurred in June of 2008. This June, we've been having crazy amounts of rain again. While it is nothing compared to 2008, it's still a bit nerve racking. Every time I drive by a little creek or any of the many rivers in Eastern Iowa, I notice how full they are. Every time we get a forecast like we have for today (80% rain chance) and tomorrow (80% rain chance), my mind goes back to 2008.

We are in about a 2 week cycle now where we've had rain almost every day. On Friday alone, we got 2.79 inches of rain. Luckily, we remained dry yesterday, but the ground is still really soggy, so any more rain will mean more flash flooding. On Friday I drove through what I thought was shallow water...once I was in it, I realized it wasn't that shallow. Luckily my car made it through, but it was not fun. The extended forecast shows chances of rain through the middle of this upcoming week. Hopefully after that we can get some dry time, we really need it.

No comments: