Monday, June 14, 2010

I Want to Care

...but I don't. I just don't care about sports like I used to. The only sports that get my blood going anymore are golf and football. Football because I love to watch it, and golf because I love to both watch and play it. I don't know when this happened, but it has definitely happened.

When I was a kid, and even into my early 20's, I would go out of my way to watch the NBA Finals, the final four, the World Series and Major Championship Tennis to name just a few. The NBA finals are going on right now, and I don't really care who wins, at least not enough to watch it. If I can't get excited about the Boston Celtics vs. the Los Angeles Lakers, how will I ever get excited about basketball again?

The French Open just ended, and I didn't watch much of that either. My wife is a tennis fan, so I saw it when she was watching it, but that's about it. Wimbledon is coming up, and I just don't care. I think it may have something to do with the fact that American tennis is terrible, or maybe I've just outgrown it.

And, then there's the FIFA World Cup of Soccer. I just don't get watching soccer...you spend 2 hours to watch a 1-0 game. You have to find a way to get excited that someone almost scored. I hope the U.S. does well, but I'm not out there rooting my tail off for soccer. Fifteen years ago I would have become a huge soccer fan for this month, but now, I have nothing more than a passing interest.

Maybe this is what happens as we get older...we become more choosy as to how we spend our time? We learn to prioritize what is really important. Maybe that's it, maybe it isn't. I don't really know. I do know one thing...I'm very excited for golf's U.S. Open this coming weekend, and come September I'll be glued to my TV every Saturday and Sunday watching football. The rest of the year, I guess I'll stick to family time, golf, movies and books.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What! No NASCAR! Wait... you said sports... never mind. :-)

MCD