Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Movie Review: The Blind Side


"The Blind Side" is the first "critically acclaimed" movie I've watched in quite a while. Seems like all the movies that get nominations for Oscars and other awards these days are junk that I don't want to watch. "The Blind Side" is unique in that it achieved some acclaim, including a Best Actress win for Sandra Bullock, and I actually liked it.

"The Blind Side" is based on the 2006 book, "The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game" by Michael Lewis. This movie (and book) tells the story of Michael Oher, who was drafted in the 1st round of the 2009 NFL draft by the Baltimore Ravens. While in high school, Michael ends up at a private school in Memphis after a friend's father convinces the football coach to get him enrolled. However, Michael's grades prevent him from playing. Around Thanksgiving of his first year at the school, Michael, now homeless, meets Leigh Anne Tuohy (Sandra Bullock) and the rest of the Tuohy family. Leigh Anne takes pity on Michael and invites him to stay for the night.

Fast forward a little bit. Michael becomes a part of the family, and is eventually adopted. The Tuohy's, along with tutor Miss Sue (Kathy Bates) help Oher get his grades up and he becomes a standout football player, eventually earning a scholarship to Ole Miss University. And we all know how the story ends...Oher is drafted 23rd in the 2009 NFL Draft.

I really liked this movie. I rate it 4 stars...could be more but that's how I feel. The best part about it is that it's based on a true story. I read that the movie changes some of the story to make it more dramatic, but overall it's a true story. If you google Michael Oher you can get the entire story. This movie reminds us what can happen when people do what is right. I think everyone should give this movie a shot...it'll definitely tug at your heart. It did mine, and I'm a cold hearted conservative.

2 comments:

Nuke said...

Nice ending. ;)

mediocre coffee said...

I concur, I also thought this was a great movie.