Sunday, April 11, 2010

Movie Review: "Zombieland"


"Zombieland" is wrong and inappropriate in so many ways...yet I found it absolutely hilarious. The opening 5 minutes were possibly the most gory 5 minutes I've ever seen in a movie, but once you get past that, it becomes funny, and slightly heartwarming.

In "Zombieland" the United States has been overrun by a virus that turns people into Zombies. A kinda wimpy guy, that goes by Columbus (all the characters go by the name of their hometown) is one of the few humans left. He has survived because of his rules for surviving a Zombie outbreak. The rules are laugh out loud funny. He meets Tallahassee (played by Woody Harrelson) and they begin to travel together. Soon the meet up with sisters, Wichita and Little Rock, and head west, looking for land untouched by the Zombie infestation.

Like I said, I liked this movie a lot. It's a little bit of a spoof on films like "I am Legend". Each character is flawed in some way, none more so than Tallahassee. Since "Cheers" I haven't really liked any of Woody Harrelson's characters. But, I liked Tallahassee. The hero (Columbus), played by Jesse Eisenberg reminds me a lot of a Michael Cera character, and he turns out to be a really good character as well. Finally, there is an extended cameo by one of Hollywood's great comedians...possibly the best part of the movie.

"Zombieland" is a 4 star movie, and I recommend it for anyone who wants a good laugh and doesn't mind a little inappropriateness. Parts of it were borderline for me, but I got through them. I wouldn't recommend it for the faint of heart or children under 18.

3 comments:

Nuke said...

I don't know what strikes me more... that you used the word "heartwarming" to describe a zombie flick, or to describe a flick including Woody Harrelson. Glad you liked it... it's still in my Netflix queue that's on hold.

Jake said...

I know, it was shocking when it finished that I found myself feeling a little heart warmed.

Erin said...

Adam and I *love* this movie. This was our Date Movie for our anniversary this last fall... and we thought it was a great choice! We are definitely adding this to our collection (yes, collection) of Zombie Flicks. This rates right up there with Shaun of the Dead.