Saturday, February 27, 2010

Ohno - Organized Chaos

Over the past 2 weeks, I have been able to enjoy a little bit of the Winter Olympics, though not as much as I would have liked. One sport that I have been able to watch quite a bit of is Short Track Speed Skating. It's part speed skating, part roller derby. There are crashes and insane passes.

For those who don't know, short track speed skating takes place on the same ice that hosts the figure skating. They set up a ring around the outside, and these athletes fly around the ice like crazy. You almost have to see it to believe it.

The best American short track speed skater is Apolo Anton Ohno, and last night he won his 8th career Winter Olympic medal (a bronze), a record for an American. In a sport where any medal is considered a good medal, because of the chaos involved, Ohno has won his 8 medals in 12 events. Ohno is 27 and this might be his last Olympics. Watching him skate has been the highlight of the last 3 Winter Olympics for me, and I'll be sad to see him go. Hopefully his example will spur other American men and women to become short track speed skaters. This is one Olympic sport I will anxiously look forward to in 2014.

1 comment:

Nuke said...

I had never heard of that sport until you mentioned it here, so I watched the relay on nbcolympics.com right away. Chaos is the perfect word for it. Seems like a sport that needs to be watched from a birds-eye view sometime.