Saturday, January 30, 2010

TV Series Review: Fringe, Season 1


Fox TV continues to hit on winners, and "Fringe" is another winner. "Fringe" is a sci-fi thriller series, starring Anna Torv as FBI Agent Olivia Dunham. Dunham is part of the FBI's fringe division, investigating strange and unexplainable events, mostly in the greater Boston area. She is assisted by Dr. Walter Bishop (John Noble) and his son Peter (Joshua Jackson). Dr. Bishop is a genius who's been in a mental institution for 17 years. Many of the strange and unexplainable events started with research he was conducting in the 1980's, along with fellow super-genius William Bell. Season 1 of this series focuses mainly on Agent Dunham, as she comes to grips with the new world she has entered and begins to understand her role in the events that will unfold in the future. There are also some interesting subplots between Dr. Bishop and Peter Bishop.

I've been told that "Fringe" is an updated version of "X-Files", but having never been an "X-Files" fan, I can't say for sure. I tried watching "X-Files" and found it to be a terrible show, mostly because Mulder and Scully were both unlikable characters. On the other hand, I find that I really like the characters in "Fringe" and I root for them to succeed. Even the slightly crazy Dr. Bishop has his moments.

"Fringe" is a 4.5 star series. I was close to giving it a 5, but I rate too many things as 5 stars, so I need to cut back. If you haven't watched this series, but are a sci-fi fan, I suggest renting a few disks of season 1 and see what you think.

No comments: