Sunday, November 29, 2009

Movie Review: The Rocker


I haven't been watching many movies, other than "Star Trek" lately, but last night, I watched "The Rocker," which stars Rainn Wilson (a.k.a. Dwight Schrute in "The Office"). "The Rocker" was recommended to me by a coworker several months ago, but I hadn't gotten around to watching it.

I wasn't sure what I was expecting with this movie. I think I was expecting either ultra goofy or super sappy. Instead, I got a really nice little film, that was funny in a good way and also a little sappy, but not too much. The best way I can describe "The Rocker" is that it is a crude version of "That Thing You Do."

Rainn Wilson stars as Robert "Fish" Fishman, an 80's drummer who is booted from his band, right before they hit super stardom. Twenty years later, we see that "Fish" hasn't changed much. After losing his latest job, he moves in with his sister's family. Due to the loss of it's drummer, Fish's nephew's band recruits Fish to play with them for their Senior Prom. This starts a ride that culminates on a big stage for this little band. Along the way, we see Fish form bonds with his 3 band mates, while doing a lot of growing up himself.

I rated this one 4 stars on Netflix. It really is a feel good story that keeps you laughing. If you liked "That Thing You Do," and can handle a little crudeness that comes with Rainn Wilson, I think you'll like this movie.

No comments: