Sunday, October 4, 2009

Movie Review: Ghost Town


I got "Ghost Town" from Netlix at the request of my wife for our date night. I wasn't sure what I was going to think of it. I generally enjoy the funnier chick flicks, so I had hope.

What I found was "Ghost Town" is very funny, and a pretty good story. The plot centers around Dr. Bertram Pincus (played by Ricky Gervais), a dentist who nearly dies during a routine colonoscopy. This near death gives him the ability to see dead people...think 6th sense, but funny. Pincus is a person who keeps to himself, and generally dislikes other people, so this is not a welcome gift. Things get worse for Dr. Pincus when the ghost of Frank Herlihy (Greg Kinnear) asks Pincus to break up the pending marriage of his wife Gwen (played by Tia Leoni). Well, Pincus ends up falling in love with Gwen. Along the way, Pincus discovers there is more to care about in life than just himself.

This movie was pretty unique, though somewhat predictable at the end. During the first hour I laughed a lot, probably more than any recent movies. Ricky Gervais is good as a leading man...sort of a British Steve Carell. Which is sort of funny because Gervais played the orignal manager in the British TV Series "The Office", which spawned Carell's U.S. TV Series. Greg Kinnear is good, as always. I don't think I've ever not like Kinnear in a movie. And, Tea Leoni proved that she is a really good comedic actress. Just a really nice mix in the casting.

Both my wife and I liked this movie. Netflix predicted I'd give it 3.6 stars, and that's about right. "Ghost Town" is a very good date night movie.

No comments: