Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Darn Marketing!

I have generally held to a firm belief that you shouldn't buy something you don't need, just because it's on sale. You know, you're out buying a shirt, and there is a sign that says "Buy One Shirt, get another for Half Price!!!" Well, I came in to buy one shirt, and I don't need another shirt...gosh darnit to heck anyhow!!! So I usually ignore the eye-catching marketing.

Today though, I fell victim to some top-notch marketing. I stopped at Subway to pick up a sandwich for lunch. I fully intended to buy a 6 inch, Oven Roasted Chicken Breast on wheat. As I was walking in, I saw the signs for the $5 foot-long subs, and started singing the famous $5 foot-long song in my head. When I got in the store, I saw that the Oven Roasted Chicken Breast was on the $5 foot-long list...this is where I usually wouldn't give in. But, I was hungry and I said to myself..."Self, that's a good deal! Buy a foot-long today, after all, you're very hungry." I only talk to myself in the 2nd person when I'm hungry.

So, I bought the foot-long. When I got back to work, I sat down to eat my sandwich, and thought..."That's a really big sandwich! I can't eat all that." Then I realized that I fell victim to Subway's clever marketing.

Well, I ended up eating the entire sandwich, even though I shouldn't have. I regretted it an hour later when I really felt like I needed a nap. The moral is...don't give in to catchy marketing unless you have time to take a nap!!! Hmmm....really seemed like I was going to have a better moral than that.

3 comments:

Nuke said...

That's a classic example of drive-by blogging right there. Nice work ;)

jose said...

I'm surprised you didn't stop after eating 6 inches. Then you could have spread that $5 over two meals!

Jake said...

It was too good...I couldn't stop eating. All part of the clever marketing ploy!