Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Am I a Bad Person?

I'm a terrible person. I must be a terrible person...what kind of person takes joy in the misery of others? A terrible one!

Why do I say such awful things about myself? Well, this past weekend was the opening weekend of the 2009 NFL season. Beyond the start of my Denver Broncos, there was the additional intrigue of how the traitorous Jay Cutler was going to do in Chicago. You'll remember that Cutler was the Broncos quarterback for the last 3 seasons, until he pouted and whined his way into a trade to Chicago this off season. I'm still irritated about how everything unfolded.

This weekend, Cutler and the Bears opened on Sunday Night against the Green Bay Packers. Earlier in the day, the Broncos had won on a last second miracle touchdown, so I was already pretty happy. However, I was nearly ecstatic at the end of the Bears/Packers game, because Jay Cutler threw 4 interceptions in the Bears loss. Cutler was awful...and I was overjoyed at his awfulness.

I think this makes me a bad person. I think it's ok to root against a team or a player, but to be openly happy when they fail? I just don't know about that. I'm going to have to work on this as the NFL season rolls on. I'm hoping this wears off now that opening week is done, the season is under way and I've recognized the behavior I need to change. After all, the first step in overcoming a problem is acknowledging you have a problem.

1 comment:

Julie said...

This one made me laugh out loud!