Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Are You Ready for Some Football?

Something is in the air. Do you smell it? The sound of Brett Favre coming out of retirement, again. The sound of whistles, and pads smashing. It must be football time. All over the country, from the smallest high schools, to major universities, to the NFL, players are hitting the field getting ready for another season of America's Game.

Without a doubt, football is my favorite televised sport. And NFL football trumps major College football in my house, though I do like College Football. This upcoming season has me pondering a few questions as we head to the NFL season.

1 - Do Vikings fans feel a little bit dirty? I mean, the guy was with your arch rivals for 16 years, and now Brett Favre is your quarterback. I think I'd feel a little dirty.

2 - Will my beloved Denver Broncos win more than 4 games? My gut says no. Too many changes, not enough talent...it's going to be a long year for me.

3 - Will John Madden unretire to match Brett Favre's unretirement? For a certain Vikings fan I know, I hope not.

4 - Can Kurt Warner and the Arizona Cardinals shock the world again and not only make the Super Bowl but win it? My gut says no again, but unless they are playing the Broncos, I'll be rooting for them.

5 - How long until Jay Cutler acts like a baby in Chicago? I think he'll make it, until he has a 3 Interception game and the Chicago media lets him have it. Then he'll see what a tough sports media town is like and wish he were still back in Denver.

6 - Will Tom Brady be back to his old self? Probably, and I think the Patriots will be as annoying as ever.


Finally, who will win the Super Bowl this year?
Here's my official prediction...the Superbowl will be the San Diego Chargers vs. the Philadelphia Eagles, and the Eagles will win.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Hee, hee, you didn't say a word about Michael Vick. Interesting you picked the Eagles in that light.

Regarding:
"1 - Do Vikings fans feel a little bit dirty? I mean, the guy was with your arch rivals for 16 years, and now Brett Favre is your quarterback. I think I'd feel a little dirty."

Being a Packers fan, I am full of disgust. FULL OF DISGUST. Seriously. Nearing 40 must have sent a few screws loose in Favre's head the last couple of years. I know, I know... it's a job and he should be able to play football if he wants... but seriously... it's too bad that some football "stars" don't realize just how "hallowed" they are among their fans and what it does to the fans when they do stuff like this. Seriously. Anyway. I could complain for days and days.

BUT... at the end of the day, one only need compare Favre's stats to Aaron Rodgers' from last year and feel that even though the 2008 season wasn't as great as 2007, the Packers made the right decision to move on.

Can you tell I am ready for this season to get underway? ;)

NFL Football Fanatic said...

I am sooooo ready for football. I don't want to dislike Favre, but come on. Just come out and say, I don't want to do training camp, and my reputation is good enough that I don't have if I don't want to. And Erin is so right. How you can he not see what going to the Vikings destroys!?

Vick totally deserves to playing in the NFL again. I was worried McNabb would feel unloved, but apparently he was a proponent of the deal, so that took away my worry about Philly.

You didn't mention what a daunting schedule the Broncos have to. If they weren't playing two of the toughest divisions in the NFL, I'd say they could win four games.

I can't wait until I can retire during the fall and focus on football instead of hoping a get a sliver of football. Will that ever actually happen? My gut says no. ;)