Sunday, July 12, 2009

Movie Review: Valykyrie


"Valkyrie" boasts an solid cast as it tells the story of the German resistance against Hitler during the 2nd World War. This resistance was led by Claus von Stauffenberg, portrayed by Tom Cruise in the movie. Based on what is on Wikipedia, the movie appears to be somewhat accurate, though you can never truly trust Wikipedia.

I actually enjoyed this movie more than I expected to...I ended up giving it a 4 star rating. Tom Cruise has been growing more annoying, but he was surprisingly ok in this movie. The rest of the cast was pretty good as well, including Eddie Izzard, the famed British comedian turned actor. Also, any movie with Terence Stamp is generally made better.

I thought Bryan Singer did a terrific job in telling this story. The scenery was perfect and the suspense was really well done. I really liked how they started the movie in German, but then during mid paragraph began to transition to English. Bryan Singer is quickly becoming one of my favorite directors.

I just can't complain about too much in the movie...if not for my disposition against Tom Cruise, I may have given this 5 stars.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who does Eddie Izzard play? (Is that his real name?) Who is Terence Stamp?

Jake said...

Eddie Izzard plays General something or other...he was the General in charge of communciations at the Hitler's Bunker. Terence Stamp was General Zod in Superman 2. In this movie he plays a politician named Beck.

Erin said...

I've been hemming and hawing over whether to spend the $1.07 at Redbox to watch this one... so thanks for the review! It is on my list! :)