Monday, July 6, 2009

The Dilemma that is Sarah Palin

I struggle with what to make of Sarah Palin's abrupt resignation from the Alaska Governorship. In general, I struggle with what to make of Sarah Palin. I think Bill Kristol, writing in the Washington Post sums up my thoughts very well. Or, at least he comes as close as anyone has.

I genuinely found Sarah Palin to be likable during the campaign. I agree with her critics that she wasn't ready to be President on day 1...but neither was Obama. In fact, he continues to prove that he wasn't ready. But I digress...Palin's speech at the Republican National Convention was the highlight of the political year for me (though there wasn't much for us Conservatives to cheer about). Her straight talk, almost folksy style made her instantly likable to people like me who are sick of know-it-all elites from Ivy League schools running everything.

I'm going to digress again...who was our last President who didn't go to an Ivy League school? Did you say Ronald Reagan? I hope you did...he's a graduate of Presidential Powerhouse Eureka College. Sometime I'll have to blog about my theory that Ivy League College Graduates are the new aristocracy, replacing the "royal families" of old. But that's a topic for another day.

Back to Sarah Palin. I don't know if she'll be a candidate for President in 2012. Heck, I don't know if she'll run for any more political offices. I wouldn't blame her if she doesn't. Here's what I do know...she wasn't ever given a fair chance. From the moment she was nominated, political elitists in both parties, along with an all too willing media began destroying her. She faced tougher scrutiny than Barack Obama and John McCain combined!

So, why? Why was Palin treated so unfairly by the political establishment and media? I have to agree with Bill Kristol. I think the establishment, made up of Ivy League political elitists in both parties, fears Sarah Palin and what she stands for. The Ivy League elites run this country, and they want to continue to run this country. So, they have to squash Sarah Palin. Because, if Sarah Palin, former beauty queen, graduate of the University of Idaho, from backwoods Alaska can be a serious candidate for President, then anyone can! And the Ivy League Political Elites can't let that happen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting theory. Very interesting.

Brian said...

Jake,

Some of my family members say that they cannot vote for her because of her, relative, lack of experience. I look at it another way. Of the 2 Presidential and 2 Vice-Presidential Candidates, for a major political party, in the 2008 election, she was the only one with any sort of executive experience. She was the only one with any experience in balancing a budget for more than a household. She and Sen. McCain were also the only ones with the experience of seeing their orders carried out by members of the armed forces. But, that was last year.

Her future holds as much promise now as did President Ronald Reagan's when he lost the Republican nomination for President in 1976. He spent the next 4 years running for 1980. But, with today's media and various political groups, she will be dogged the entire way.

She and Governors Huckabee or Romney are more than capable of providing a clear alternative to the current situation in Washington, DC.

But, we have to wait 3 more years, first. I hope we can afford the wait.