Thursday, May 21, 2009

Praying for the Mickelsons

I was saddened yesterday when I read that Amy Mickelson has breast cancer and will begin treatment within 2 weeks. For those of you who don't know, Amy Mickelson is the wife of Phil Mickelson, the #2 ranked golfer in the world and my favorite player. Amy is one of the most visible wives on the PGA Tour, and is very active in Phil's charity work. The Mickelson family is one that is familiar to all golf fans, as they are always seen embracing Phil in victory and in defeat.

I'm not sure why, but I've always admired Phil Mickelson. Sure, he has a world class golf game, but it's more than that. He's shown a human side that we don't often see from our favorite athletes (yes, golfers are athletes). In 1999, Mickelson finished 2nd in the US Open. That week, Amy was due to go into labor at any moment. Phil carried a pager with him and was set to leave, no matter what, to see the birth of his first child. Now, I think a lot of parents would do that, but how many major sports athletes would give up a chance at something they had dreamed about their whole life?

Over the years, I've watched Phil win and lose, and, win or lose, he always demonstrates class on and off the course. In fact, I've seen so much of Phil and Amy that I almost feel like I know them...I watch a lot of golf. Amy, Phil and their kids will be in my prayers over the next few months as they battle Amy's cancer together, and hopefully, if you read this, you will remember to pray for them as well.

No comments: