Thursday, February 19, 2009

He's Baaaaaccccckkk

That sound you heard earlier today, you know, the mix of groans and sighs of relief, came from Southern California. Riviera Country Club in Los Angeles to be exact. The groans were from the rank and file professional golfers on the PGA Tour. The signs of relief? Well, those were coming from PGA Tour and CBS executives. Why all the noise? Because, Eldrick Woods (a.k.a Tiger) is back, starting next week. And I for one am glad!

Yes, for those of you that know me, that's going to be shocking. I've never really rooted for Tiger, and I still won't. But, I'm going to be the first to admit that professional golf without Tiger was BORING!!! (Insert your own joke here about how golf is always boring) Before Tiger's knee injury, he didn't play a lot, but at least you knew when he would play and could look forward to those events...it made the events in the middle more tolerable. For me, a Tiger event is a chance for me to root for someone to pull a huge upset and beat the man. I haven't had that for 8 months.

Don't get me wrong, there have been great stories in golf over the last 8 months. There was Iowa native Zach Johnson winning 2 events, the stunning US Ryder Cup victory and my former high school teammate Wil Collins earning his tour card. But, there have also been disappointments. Phil Mickelson for one...I've been a huge fan of Phil Mickelson for a long time, and frankly, he missed some huge opportunities while Tiger was out. But, that's Phil being Phil. He's the human golf roller coaster.

Anyway, I don't know where I'm going with this. Welcome Back Tiger! I would say kick some butt, but I don't really want you to do that. Play well, and let some other guys win once in a while.

No comments: