Sunday, November 16, 2008

Movie Review: Get Smart


I also watched "Get Smart" yesterday. I wasn't expecting a whole lot from this movie, but I had modest hopes, because I've enjoyed most every Steve Carell film I've watched. "Get Smart" did not disappoint.

This was one of the funniest movies I've seen in quite a while. From Bill Murray's cameo appearance to the very final scene, I laughed the entire way. This was not "Austin Powers", it actually sort of took itself seriously, but in a good way. Steve Carell is great as the affable Maxwell Smart. Smart is a bit of a klutz, but he's not incompetent, which I liked. Carell is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors. He was great in "Evan Almighty", and really good in "Dan in Real Life" which was a more serious role. I highly recommend both of those movies as well.

Joining Carell were Anne Hathaway, Alan Arkin, Terrence Stamp and Duane "The Rock" Johnson. The casting was brilliant! Alan Arkin, as the Chief, was funny and a little over the top, but in a good way. Terrence Stamp always makes a good villain. Hathaway was good, as she always seems to be, and Duane "The Rock" Johnson continues to branch out from former wrestler turned action movie hero.

Overall, I rated it 4 out of 5 stars on Netflix. It is rated PG-13 for a good reason. There is some crude humor that I wouldn't want my kids to see. If you are a Steve Carell fan, I think you'll like this movie a lot. If his style annoys you, you'll probably hate it.

No comments: