Monday, November 17, 2008

Fun Sunday Night Viewing

Thanks to my father-in-law, and some random TV channel surfing, I've discovered 2 shows that make Sunday and enjoyable evening of TV viewing.

First off is "Iron Chef, America" on the Food Network. I can't cook, but I like to eat and I like to watch sports. This is like a cooking sports show. There are 5 iron chefs. Each show pits a challenger chef from a high class restaurant against 1 Iron Chef of the challenger's choosing. The chefs have 1 hour to prepare a 5 course meal for 3 judges, who then rate the chefs on Taste, Originality and Presentation. Complicating matters is the secret ingredient that they have to incorporate into their dishes. This has ranged from coffee beans to beer to cheese. One of the strangest episodes was where the secret ingredient was random animal parts (brains, hearts, etc.). Making it even more fun is Alton Brown as the host. He is, by far, Food Network's most gifted personality. He is funny, quick and really understands cooking.

The 2nd show is "Storm Chasers" on Discovery. It's a "reality" show that follows 2 crews of storm chasers during tornado season. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I watch this one, as it appeals to the lowest common denominator a little bit. But, I'm a bitter clinger, so what am I supposed to watch? There is very little education going on, and more focus on the rivalry between the 2 teams. It's good mindless TV to get you ready for Monday morning.

Obviously, if the Sunday Night Football game is a good one, this viewing gets preempted.

No comments: