Thursday, November 24, 2011

Hickory Smoked Turkey

Happy Thanksgiving to all my loyal readers out there.  I appreciate all 6 of you.  :-)  This year, in addition to my family, my job and my health, I'm thankful for my smoker...and I got to put it to use again today.

It is just the 4 of us for Thanksgiving this year.  With temperatures being in the 60s, I decided to smoke a turkey breast for our thanksgiving turkey.  Along with mashed potatoes, homemade cranberry sauce, dinner rolls and pumpkin pie, it's been a really great Turkey Day.

So, for those of you who have a smoker, here's what I did to smoke a turkey breast, which turned out to be one of the best tasting turkeys I've ever eaten. 

I bought a 6 lb turkey breast, which is just about right in terms of leftovers for sandwiches.  Last night, I made the following brine, which I found at my favorite smoker cooking website.  Smoker-cooking.com has all the tips and techniques needed to make great smoked food.  I used the techniques found on that website for the last 2 smoked meals I've made, and both have been great.

Here's the brine;

Ingredients:
1 gallon
1 cup
1/4 cup
1 Tbs
1 Tbs
1 Tbs
1/2 Tbs
1/2 Tbs
1/2 Tsp
1/2 Tsp
1/2 Tsp
water
Morton kosher salt
white sugar
onion powder

garlic powder
paprika
white pepper
powdered ginger
mustard powder
powdered sage
nutmeg

I boiled the water, then added the sugar and salt.  Once the sugar and salt was dissolved, I added the remaining ingredients.  After the brine had cooled to room temperature, I put the turkey breast in and refrigerated for 9 hours.

After 9 hours, I removed the turkey from the brine and washed the brine off.  I then let the turkey "rest" in the refrigerator for 3 hours.

Next, I dusted the cavity of the turkey with the following rub (dry ingredients only).

1/8 cup
1 Tbs
1/2 Tbs 

1 Tsp
1 Tsp
1 Tsp
1/2 Tsp
1/4 Tsp
vegetable oil
onion powder
paprika
garlic powder
kosher salt
white pepper
powdered ginger
powdered sage

After dusting the cavity, I added the vegetable oil and put the wet rub all over the outside of the turkey.

Now, on to the smoker.  Again, I only had hickory wood, but I like hickory flavor, so no big deal there.  I got the smoker to 250ish degrees and held it there.  I cooked the turkey at that temperature for a little over 5 hours (gotta get that white meat to 160-165).  I added 2 handfuls of hickory chips every hour for the first 3 hours (the chips had been soaked in water since last night).  I also basted with butter 3 times over the 5 hours.

After 5 hours, I pulled the turkey breast off the smoker and wrapped it in foil for 20 minutes to let the juices settle throughout the meat.  I then carved and served. 

The turkey was really moist and very flavorful.  I liked it better than the Alton Brown Roast Turkey I made at Christmas last year, but my wife said that while this one was really good, she liked the Alton Brown Roast Turkey better.  So, I guess I have 2 turkey recipes to roll with in the future.

No comments: