Saturday, November 5, 2011

The First Avenger

Captain America: The First AvengerI'm off to travel the world again this week.  I'll be in a whole other country until Friday.  Before I leave, I wanted to get this review out there for "Captain America: The First Avenger." 

I think Nuke described this best to me when he said that it felt like a prequel to "The Avengers" rather than a super hero movie.  I thought "Captain America" felt more like a war movie than it did a super hero movie.  Overall, it wasn't a bad movie, but it just didn't stand out like "Thor" or "X-Men: First Class". 

From what I know of the original Captain America story, I think this movie follows the story pretty well.  Captain America is played by Chris Evans, and he does a reasonably good job in this role.  The villain is Red Skull, played by Hugo Weaving (a.k.a. Smith from "The Matrix", Elrond from LOTR and V from "V for Vendetta").  I really like Hugo, so I did like him as the Red Skull.

"Captain America: The First Avenger" is a 3.5 star movie.  While it's rated PG-13, there is no reason that I can see why an 8-10 year old kid can't watch this one...it's a pretty tame PG-13.  In fact, I'm going to let my son watch it tonight before I mail it back.

No comments: