Monday, October 17, 2011

Where's the Beef?

Wendy's has been running a commercial where a young guy buys a "Where's the Beef?" T-Shirt at a Goodwill-type store, and then as he's walking around, everybody is reading his shirt out loud.  He super confused because he's too young to remember the commercial, until he arrives at a Wendy's and sees a sign that says "Here's the Beef."  It hearkens back to the commercials of 25+ years ago where the old ladies are asking "Where's the Beef?" about burgers that compete with Wendy's.  Wendy's is bringing back this old catch phrase to highlight their newer, slightly bigger burgers and better toppings.

Today we were driving back from visiting family and we stopped at Wendy's.  Being super hungry, I decided to try one of the new burgers.  I got a double bacon cheeseburger...yes I'm going to regret that later.  I know as a food guy I'm supposed to show disdain for fast food, and I generally do.  But, I have to say, this was a darn fine burger.  The burger patties were thick and juicy, and the bacon was actually a thick cut of bacon so it added a ton of flavor.  My mouth is watering now just thinking about how good it was.

I hope I don't lose points as a "foodie" for this.  I was forced to eat McDonald's on the trip and that was miserably bad...hopefully that earns points back.

1 comment:

mediocre coffee said...

One of my high school teachers told a story related to this from high school. He was working the late shift at Wendy's and was half-asleep. After delivering a sandwich the customer drove around the building and came back to the window to exclaim, "Where's the beef!?" He had accidently given the customer only ketchup and mustard between the two buns. :)