Tuesday, October 25, 2011

It's All About Experience

As I mentioned in my last post, my son and I got a smoker and we were planning to smoke some ribs.  Well, we executed that plan on Sunday, and overall, it was successful.

We got an inexpensive Master Forge Charcoal Smoker from Lowe's so in case we didn't like it, we weren't out a lot of money.  This smoker is really easy to use.  You load some charcoal  and wood chips in the bottom of the smoker, then put water or some liquid in the water pan above the charcoal/wood. Above that there are 2 racks for food.  When cooking, the meat gets smoked, of course, but the water also steams the meat to keep it moist.

We followed a cooking method for ribs that I found online, which was supposedly for "competition" ribs.  This involved putting a rub on the ribs 24 hours before cooking, then cooking at 225-250 for 3 hours.  After 3 hours, you wrap the ribs, loosely, in foil with apple juice and return it to the heat.  Then you cook for another hour, then unwrap the ribs, sauce them for 30-60 minutes over the heat and serve.

The ribs turned out very tasty.  I made my own sauce and rub which makes a good combination.  Most importantly, I loved the hickory smoked flavor.  Now, the downfall is that the ribs weren't as tender as I would have liked.  From what I understand, "competition" ribs aren't fall off the bone like you get at Chili's, but should pull off the bone easily.  The key is to be able to get a clean bite mark in the ribs.   These ribs came off the bone, but it was a little work.  We'll have to work on that next time.

Here's what I learned this weekend:

1 - Kids don't have patience for 5 hours of cooking, so my son and I will continue to tackle this little by little.
2 - Next time I make ribs, I'm going to wrap them in foil a lot sooner.  I think most of the smoke flavor was imparted in the first 90 minutes and I think more time being wrapped would make the ribs more tender.
3 - I can get away with using less charcoal.  I didn't realize that having a bunch of food on the top rack would affect the temperature gauge as much as it did.  When I took the ribs off, the temperature shot up 30 degrees.  So, I probably cooked the ribs too hot...you live and learn.
4 - I'm going to try something easier next time, like a pork loin, turkey breast or brisket. 
5 - Smoking is a fun way to cook...I am really looking forward to my next adventure and I hope my son will help a little more each time.

No comments: