Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Now That Was Tasty

Living in Iowa, our grocery store is HyVee.  Back in April, HyVee announced a partnership with Celebrity Chef Curtis Stone, which I thought was really exciting because I've seen Chef Stone on the Food Network before.  Chef Stone is providing recipe ideas for HyVee shoppers, and a few weeks ago, we saw the recipe for Seared Steak with Caramelized Onions and Gorgonzola.  I followed the recipe exactly, so I won't rewrite it here.  Follow the link if you want to make it.

Here's what I would suggest if you decide to make this.  Make a lot of the onions...they are soooooooo good!  Also, the Gorgonzola is really powerful, so I would recommend going easy on the cheese.  I made this recipe using New York Strip steaks, but I got less expensive steaks because I was dressing them up.  I just tenderized them a little bit by pounding, seasoned with salt and pepper and grilled them.  I cooked them for 4 minutes over high heat, and then moved them to the cool side of the grill for 7 minutes.  This got the steaks to medium well.  These were 5 star steaks.

For a side dish, I made one of our favorite grilled sides...roasted potatoes with red peppers.  Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
3 russet potatoes diced, skin on
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Directions:
Combine olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and whisk together.  Toss the potatoes and peppers in the olive oil mixture.  Wrap the potatoes and peppers in non-stick aluminum foil, sealed tightly. 

Preheat grill to 400 degrees.  Cook potatoes and pepper packet on the grill with the lid closed for 45 minutes.  Serve immediately.

This was a magical combination, and was pretty easy to make.  Try it some evening at your house and let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Your Wife said...

Reading this post and remembering the steaks is making my mouth water. I'm so lucky to have such a good cook for a husband.