Sunday, June 5, 2011

Match Play Madness!

A few weeks ago, I signed up for the Match Play Tournament at my golf club.  Match Play is one of the craziest forms of golf.  Each hole is essentially worth 1 point.  If one players wins a hole, he is considered 1 UP.  If the opposing player wins the next hole, the match is considered All Square.  The goal is to be at least 1 UP at the end of 18...and yes, you can win in less than 18 holes.

Match Play can be extremely volatile, with wild swings in momentum, as you'll see in a minute.  I haven't played much Match Play in my 25 years of golfing...in fact, it had been 15 years since I've played a match.  So, when I signed up as 1 of the 64 players, I didn't know for sure what to expect.  I was hoping to win a match or 2, but honestly, I had no real expectations.

Yesterday, I played my first round match.  I had to give my opponent 4 shots, meaning he got a stroke on the top 4 handicap holes...if you don't understand that, it's ok.  Basically, we played heads up on 14 holes, and on 4 holes, he got a 1 shot advantage. 

Anyway, to the match.  I wasn't too nervous, but then I gacked the first hole to go 1 DOWN, but managed to win the 2nd hole to get back to all square.  After halving the 3rd hole, my opponent made a ridiculously good birdie at #4, so I'm 1 DOWN again.  We halved 5 and 6, with my opponent pulling off a Seve Ballesteros like par save at #6.  I lost hole 7, then 3-putted 8 and dorked up 9 to end the front 9, 3 DOWN. 

At the turn, I basically gave up.  I decided that there was very little chance I could win, unless I managed to play crazy good and got a little help.  My opponent had a great front 9, beating me straight up, by 1 shot.  So, I went to the #10 tee pretty relaxed (note that my course is a 9 hole course, so #10 is also #1, but we play from farther back the 2nd time around).

The 2nd nine started great for me, with a birdie and the match was back to 2 DOWN.  Hole 11 is a 220 yard par 3, and I striped my tee shot to 8 feet...I missed the birdie putt, but the par got me back to 1 DOWN.  Another par at 12 and now I'm All Square.  On the 13th hole, I hit a great drive and my opponent put his tee shot in the water. After his drop, my opponent hit his 3rd shot to 4 feet for what looked like a par.  I hit my approach to 10 feet and made the birdie putt...all of the sudden I'm 1 UP.  We traded wins at holes 14-16, so we were All Square going to 17.  My opponent struggled with 17 and 18, and I managed 2 pars to win the match 2 UP.  I shot even par over the last 9 holes...which is pretty good for me.  I played crazy good and got a little help.

Overall, we only halved 4 holes the entire match.  Luckily for me, I got some momentum the 2nd 9 and carried it to the win.  Most importantly though, I had a great time.  The gentlemen I played against is a great guy, so it was fun to get to meet him as well.  I don't play real competition very often on the golf course, so this was fun.  I'm really excited for round 2.  I still don't have any expectations, but I am thrilled that I get to play another match.

No comments: